In 2016, with the first edition of HERE, 200 artists exhibited in 130 rooms in the UNESCO World Heritage Site: Cavallerizza Reale, in Turin, Italy.
The event had a major impact on the city of Turin, welcoming over 9000 visitors in just 10 days and had major coverage in the news media which awarded Cavallerizza with a place on the international map of independent art venues e.g. MAXXI (the Contemporary Art Museum of Rome):
Established and emerging artists participated exhibiting their work. Various personalities of the art world presided over the daily discussion panels and talks held during the event.
The purpose of the event was to attract attention to Cavallerizza Reale (a Unesco World Heritage Site, formerly a property belonging to the Italian royal family). Cavallerizza was owned by the local council which left it to decline for years with the plan to eventually sell it off to the private sector.
Since May 2014 a collective of self motivated citizens reopened some parts of the structure (which includes two theatres, large communal areas, large regal gardens and over a 100 rooms) with the intention of preserving it. Using it to create a variety of free, public, autonomous cultural activities.
Cavallerizza became a real cultural centre that in less than three years became active with more than a thousand events (music, performances, exhibitions, cinema, workshops) and hosted national and international artists in residence.
Projects of co-working, urban gardening, popular cuisine, kids activities, arts and crafts workshops, a variety of classes (dance, yoga, photography...) and conferences on social issues etc, were also presented.
The 2017 edition of HERE, from May 19th to May 28th, will be an autonomous, self sufficient event organised by Artivisive (VisualArtsLab), the visual artists group, a part of the Cavallerizza collective which also includes other groups (Musical Arts, Performing Arts, Literature…)
The event will be self-managed and self-financed.
The event was created to raise awareness and engage citizens at a local, national and international level. It will highlight the potential for improvement and the socio-cultural value of the Cavallerizza, for example as new cultural methods to use properties of the public sector by a participatory process which uses methods such as inclusion, comparison, and of a transversal nature.
Artist and curators of all nationalities (minimum age limit: 18 years) are invited to participate.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Deadline 20th of April 2017
Visual art projects in any medium (painting, sculpture, photography, video, installation, performance etc) are welcome.
Projects should be compatible with the style of the structure
Projects consisting of a high level of experimentation will be especially taken into consideration.
Options available for the participation at HERE:
- Participation in the exhibition with personal art works or curating a project with others.
- Use of space within the exhibition area to create an art work in situ. (Artists will have free studio space inside Cavallerizza Reale. The studios are already available for artists that are willing to produce their work in Cavallerizza.
- Full residency. Living facilities (sleeping, cooking) are available for a limited number of artists, based on availability.
For points 2 and 3 the dates must be agreed upon with the organisers.
- Participation is FREE
- For organisational reasons some projects may not be considered suitable
- The art works must not represent any dangerous or excessively dubious aspects
- The artists will be responsible for any damage or loss caused by and to their art works
- Every artists will be responsible for transportation and installation of their work
- There will be no financial assistance for any costs incurred by artists during HERE
- During opening hours volonteers will be constantly overseening the exhibition however you must take into account that this exhibition does not have professional guards
- Please note that we are NOT insured! However the exhibition area will be locked overnight
- At the closure of the exhibition it will be the artists own responsibility to take down and remove their work
Your project should be sent before the closing date of 20th April 2017.
Please include the following documentation with your application form:
- The application form completed in every aspect with a maximum of 10 images per project (total max 50mb)
- Video Links (vimeo or youtube)
- It is also necessary to register online at the following link:
https://artivisive.cavallerizzareale.org/form/here.html and upload the application form
By the closing date of 30th April you will be informed of the outcome of your application to HERE
THE LAYOUT OF THE AVAILABLE SPACES
There will be communal areas with work stations and free wifi. A variety of working art labs will be available for production such as silkscreen, woodwork and a darkroom. Basic tools for producing work will be available.
If you have any special needs, please include them in your application.
The exhibition spaces available will be as follows (approximately):
3,00 m x 5,00 m with variable ceiling heights of min 2,65m to max 3,60m
Electricity will be provided. However, artists will need to bring their own extension cables, adapters and use their own lighting. The electrical supply available is limited to 100w maximum per room.
As the property is a UNESCO World Heritage Site, there are some restrictions and rules which must be followed:
It is forbidden to:
- Use large nails or screws of any kind in the walls of the rooms for hanging art works.
- Drill holes in the walls, damage or remove any part of the structure in any way.
- No art work may make a permanent change to the overall structure or to the nearby gardens. All works must be purely temporary and removed after the period of the exhibition.
N.B. By sending this application you automatically agree to ALL the above conditions.
Open Call (pdf)
Application Form (doc)